Stress is an everyday fact of life. In today’s high-pressure world, the stress and strain of modern living can become increasingly hard to bear. stress is something, which can not be ignored. It creeps in stealthily and has been potential to make you or more of you.
Modern life, with its quick pace, occupational achievements, personal ambition, social pressure, environmental poisons and orientation to sedentary mental work, presents almost all of us with constantly stressful situations.
The four major factors in overload are
1) time pressure
2) excessive responsibility
3) lack of support
4) excessive expectations from self and those around.
Combating the stressful job– anyone can feel how job stressors can be hazardous to their health. This makes stressful work a serious workplace health concern. Ultimately, the best way to reduce stress at work is to eliminate its cause. If an organisation or company wanted to design a workplace, which would enhance employees’ health, psychological well being and productivity of its workers, what would it need to do? So, it is not possible to list all the features of healthy work but here are a few.
Design jobs to –
1) enable workers to vary their tasks and move around at various times during the work day.
2) fit tasks and workflow together to make a complete job
3) Enable workers to understand how their jobs fit into the larger goal of the organisation and to feel they have achieved something meaningful at the end of the shift.
4) allow workers’ input in deciding how their jobs are done, the speed of work and how they will respond to other jobs’ demands.
5) develop clarity in tasks, jobs and roles and minimize conflicting expectations
6) make work ergonomics ( workstation, posture, seating etc) as stress-free as possible
Buffering stress- The role of total support and Adequate social support can cushion the effects of chronic job stressors. There are several sources of social support in the workplace – coworkers, management and union. Social support can range from informal interactions between individuals to more formal ways of providing social support to workers. The employer is very influential in creating a climate for positive social interaction and support in the workplace.There are some things should be allowed –
1) allowing social interaction on the job
2) Provide employee assistance programs which are planned jointly by workers and management such as confidential advice and counselling
3) creating family-friendly programs such as on-site childcare facilities, and flexible working.
4) Develop ways of effectively resolving workplace conflict.
Dealing with stress as an individual
There is a list of ideas which can be helpful. The tests are different methods in a variety of situations.
1) exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, and get sufficient rest.
2) limit caffeine and alcohol intake
3) make a habit of relaxation
4) enjoy your social relationships
5) talk about your feeling out with someone you can trust
6) Go easy on yourself
7) build some fun into your life every day
Identifying the stressors on your job is a good first step. once you have compiled a list, try to evaluate each item and prioritise them. You can turn to your joint workplace health and safety committee. If there is a contract violation, use the grievance procedure. Maybe a labour management meeting would help.
So, Do your work stress-free at the workplace.