Yoga: This word itself strikes in mind to keep fit mind and body. Yoga is a practice that connects the body, mind and breath. It uses physical postures, breathing exercises and meditation to improve overall health.
During this pandemic condition, Yoga is a booster for increasing the immunity system and strength of the body.
Actually, Yoga has developed as a spiritual practice thousands of years ago. It has been coming from ancient times, but recently in the past few decades, it is using to reduce obesity, mental illness, anxiety, flexibility, depression, hypertension and other ailments.
Scientists and Researchers also agree on this point Yoga is beneficial for health purpose.
Yoga is usually divided into 8 limbs which are:
It is a holistic way of life leading to a state of complete physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing and harmony with the nature.
Yoga can be used by any age group for reducing mental stress, diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease as well as reducing anxiety and depression also.
The nature of Yoga is to shine the light of awareness into the darkest corner of the body.
Although, Yoga originated in India thousands of years ago. Yoga has been proved by researchers that it is effective in the prevention as well as management of stress and stress-induced disorders.
It has been known that yoga is beneficial in health conditions like decreased anxiety, stress, fear, obesity and hypertension.
1) Obesity and overweight — overweight and obesity are strong risk factors for diabetes, hypertension and ischemic heart disease. Yoga is helpful in the management of obesity. Many people are suffering from obesity due to lifestyle and junk food. Less physical exercise increases overweight.
2) Hypertension — Regular yoga practice for at least 1/2 hours per day is also found in controlling hypertension. Yoga together with psychotherapy, relaxation feedback and meditation has been found to a convincing antihypertensive effects.
3) Diabetes— In India and the world, there is the largest number of cases of diabetes. The practice of Yoga regularly can help in the control of type-2 diabetes mellitus. Yoga also has beneficial cognitive brain functions.
4) Lipid profile – Elevated serum total cholesterol, LDL, Triglycerides are risk factors of ischemic heart disease. So, Yoga is beneficial for controlling these factors.
5) Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease – Yoga practice improves lung functions and strength of inspiratory and expiratory muscles. Yoga can improve the quality of life.
Yoga can improve overall fitness levels and improve flexibility and posture.
a) it helps in relaxation
b) it lowers blood pressure level and heart rate
c) it improves coordination
d) it improves self confidence
e) it reduces stress
f) it improves concentration
g) it reduces anxiety, back pain and depression
h) it helps in sound sleep
I) it boosts the immune system functionally
j) it prevents irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive problems
k) it gives inner strength
l) it improves flexibility, builds muscle strength, perfect posture, prevents cartilage, and joint breakdown.
m) it improves balances and relaxes the system.
n) it is also better for bone health.
Therefore, it is concluded that the practice of yoga is beneficial for all dimensions of health i.e. physical, social, mental and spiritual. There are different types of Yoga. As per the yoga instructor, we should have to practice Yoga under his/ her guidance.
But, always remember that wrongly body or incorrect asanas and breathing incorrectly, while exercising can be harmful to health and body.
So, Yoga is a light, which once lit will never dim.
Remember, Yoga is the practice of the quality of mind.
There are several Yoga styles and finding the right one which will help ensure you keep your practice regularly. For those, who want a more fast-paced practice, consider Power Yoga. Hatha Yoga is good for beginner’s because of its slow pace and introductory poses.
Don’t practice yoga to get better at yoga, practice Yoga to get better at living.
Now, I think all of you will start yoga and will take care of your health.