Gangtok is the capital and largest town of Sikkim. Gangtok is in the eastern Himalayas. Gangtok is at the centre of Sikkim’s tourism industry. It is at an altitude of 5410 ft.
It is well known for its Buddhist pilgrimage. April to June and October are the peak tourist season. But you can visit the city throughout the year.
There are a lot of tourists places here, where you can enjoy yourself and with your family.
Mahatma Gandhi Marg (MG) marg and Lal market are prominent business areas and tourists spots in Gangtok.
There are a lot of great sightseeing places within the city as well as nearby to the town.
Monasteries, waterfalls, cultural centres and some beautiful and inspiring viewpoints are here.
1) Baba Harbhajan Singh temple — it is a mysterious temple. Baba Harbhajan Singh, an amazing legend of the Indian Army Soldier whose spirit is believed to be protecting the country even after the tragic death by warming the Indian soldiers.
2) MG Road- it is one of the most wonderful places to visit in Gangtok, is considered as a prime shopping hub of the city.
3) Nathula pass– it is the connecting route between Sikkim and Tibet, the Nathula Pass offers a great view of Kanchanjunga mountain view.
4) Rumtek Monastery – it is one of the most visually appealing monasteries in Gangtok. It offers a significant outlook of the Buddhist culture.
5) Tsomgo lake— it is a fascinating an eye eye-catching lake. It is located 24 km from Gangtok.
Yak safari is an unforgettable and unique experience organised in different areas of Sikkim, one such popular place is the Tsomgo Lake.
6) Seven sisters of waterfalls – As its name suggests, the seven sister waterfalls comprise of seven exquisite waterfalls, which is one of the sight-seeing places.
7)Ganesh Tok– Ganesh too offers a spectacular view of Gangtok city. There is an ancient temple of Lord Ganesha which is highly visited by locals and tourists alike.
Except for this, there are so many tourists places…Banjhakri falls, Flower show and Ridge park, Enchey Monastery, Bakthang waterfall.
So, now you see that you can enjoy and relax there and getting a new experience.
What is the best time to visit Gangtok?
April to June and October to November are the peak season for tourists.
How to go there?
1)By road– Tourists travelling from Siliguri to Gangtok also. Siliguri is around 120 km from Gangtok.
2) By rail— The nearest railway station to Gangtok is about 130 km away in New Jalpaiguri in Siliguri, West Bengal. The station is well connected to all major cities like Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai and New Delhi.
3) By air– The nearest airport in Pakyong which is 31 km from the capital.
From Bagdogra Airport, you can hire a taxi and go to Sikkim also.